Moving is often said to be one of the top five most stressful live events. And for good reason. Assuming you’re not going to move your belongings yourself, hiring a good, responsible moving company is a large part of the stress of moving. To that end, here are some tips to consider when making that decision.
- Pick three moving companies to call for an estimate, and research them. There are two different schools of thought here. Some people like to use national moving companies, because there may be more of a track record or reputation with one of these companies. Other people may want to use local companies as there may be more accountability with the company being headquartered in the same city. Whichever direction you decide to go, be sure to research the companies you choose to call. Easy ways to do this are researching them online via www.yelp.com, social media (Facebook and Twitter) and of course via the Better Business Bureau (http://www.bbb.org/).
- Reputable companies will always come to your home to give you an estimate of costs to move your belongings. In preparation of this estimate, be sure to make decisions regarding what you will be paying to move. If you know you won’t be moving items, donate or sell them prior to the estimate, or tag them so the moving company won’t include these items in the quote. ALWAYS get this quote in writing. And, be sure to let them know who else you are getting quotes from. This may prompt the moving company to let you in on any special promotions or discounts of which you weren’t aware.
- Be sure that you ask the following questions about your quote:
- What is the total cost of the move, inclusive of tax?
- What is included in the move and what isn’t? (For example, are you required to remove headboards from beds, detach TVs from the wall, disconnect appliances?)
- How can the price change if the items in the quote decrease or increase in number or weight?
- What are the cancellation fees, if any?
- What is the deposit? Is it refundable?
- Timeline of move? When can you expect your property to be delivered?
The more information the better. These tips should be a good starting point for you in your search for a moving company. Feel free to contact us if you’d like any specific recommendations of companies that we’ve worked with in the past.