We are in the dog days of summer, and keeping cool is objective #1! Learning to swim is a rite of passage for kids in the Valley of the Sun. To that end, here are a few places to look if you’re interested in helping your kids learn this all-important summer skill:
- Phoenix Parks and Recreation is one of the largest operators of swim lessons here in the Valley of the Sun. With 30 public pools and two week sessions from Monday-Thursday available to both residents and non-residents of all ages, you’re sure to find a location and date that works for your schedule. Pricing is the most reasonable through Parks and Rec programs at $15 for two-week group lessons (about 6 children per instructor in the beginning level courses) up to $45 for semi-private sessions (about 3 children per instructor).
- Scottsdale Parks and Recreation also operates swimming lessons, for kids and adults. Lessons are 30 minutes long and are also offered in two-week sessions, Mondays through Thursdays. Price is $24 for Scottsdale residents and $36 for non-residents.
- Options for private swim lessons abound here in Arizona. One popular option you may want to explore is Hubbard Swim School. This school offers several different types of programs, for all age levels. Drop-in lessons are $15 for a group class, and $20 for a semi-private class. Hubbard also hosts a free baby splash class for children 2-5 months old. For regular classes, the cost averages $81-$122 per month for weekly classes.
- Aqua Tots is another private swim school, with 10 locations around the Valley of the Sun. Both private and semi-private classes are available, and rates vary by location, but average $79-$207 for 1-3 days per week for the first child.
- With locations in both Scottsdale and Gilbert, Aqua Safe is a private swim school featuring classes every half hour at both locations at least 4 days a week. They offer a program for first-time swimmers which includes two classes per week for eight weeks, for $150 per month.